23 April 2019

The Colourist issue 2: Embrace the joy of colourful living.

Embrace the joy of colourful living! I'm SO thrilled to share with you the second edition of my bookazine, The Colourist. I am wildly excited - even more so than I was ahead of the release of the first issue - and here's why: Issue 1 was an incredible, free-falling rollercoaster of emotions. I put my heart and soul out into the world, without knowledge of how it would be received. But the fact that I am here, before you all today, announcing the launch of Issue 2 means that all of the hard work, sweat and Chalk Paint® tears was worth it. We made it through folks, and what a success it was! Your kind words about The Colourist, your enthusiasm for the features, and the incredible photographs of your step-by-steps from the back pages are a source of great happiness and pride to me. I just hope you’re ready now to do it all over again! As they say, practice makes perfect and we listened to what you think worked best about Issue 1, what you most loved, and channelled that into Issue 2.


One thing I love about The Colourist is the way we’ve composed each issue around a colour palette which threads itself throughout the Bookazine. This edition, the emphasis is on yellow - mellow, creamy, and earthy on one hand, zesty and singing on the other; an elusive colour that quickly turns into lime, orange or brown. I love to pair it with deep burgundy red and greys, botanical greens and purples, which you’ll see examples of inside.


There's lots more colour inspiration for you too - from classical French and Hampton whites, to Baccanalian boho brights from Finland and abundant florals from the perennially popular Rachel Ashwell. There are Chalk Paint® pieces inspired by 20th century art created by Nana Radalescu (one of my Romanian Stockist) along with exclusive photography illustrating the magnificent results of another Stockist’s loving restoration of an old mill nestled deep in the English countryside. I'm also delighted to feature in this issue stunning painted pieces from everybody’s favourite Kiwi, New Zealand based furniture artist Jeanie Simpson. I hope too that you'll enjoy the home tour of my bolt hole in rural France.


This issue I’ve featured not one but two icons of Design: the inimitable, unstoppable fashion designer, Zandra Rhodes, and Anni Albers, the gloriously iconoclastic Bauhaus textile artist who's just been the subject of a retrospective at Tate Modern in London.

I love to travel, and this issue you can join me in São Paulo, Brazil to see the incredible and inspiring street art I discovered when I was there for Christmas with my family, visiting my eldest son Henry. We also go on a city tour of Berlin - I first went there in 1970 as part of the alternative art scene, which thrives to this day.


I could not have imagined, not in my wildest dreams, the success of the step-by-step section at the back of The Colourist. I have delighted in seeing all your interpretations. There’s been masterpieces in Lucy Tiffney’s signature botanical style, geometric boldness á la my son, Felix, ombré blends as taught by Ildiko Horvath, and kitchen transformations inspired by Avery Michaels’ work. This issue, expect more step-by-steps, more reasons to pick up a Chalk Paint® Brush, and more delectable design ideas coming your way! Because that's what The Colourist is about. Sharing my passion for style and colour, and infecting everybody with the confidence to be creative.


It has been a great joy to put this issue together; and I hope you enjoy reading it as much I've enjoyed creating it. Be sure to tag me using #ColouristMag and of course #AnnieSloan and #ChalkPaint when you’ve got your copy and especially if you try out one of the step-by-steps!

Yours,

Annie.

PS There’s also TWO exclusive free stencils designed by yours truly. There’s just so much content I can’t keep track of it all! Click here for a set-by-step on how to use them.

8 comments:

  1. I'm involved in my 1st, maybe ONLY attempt with chalk paint! Horrible experience. I stirred that paint til I have blisters on my hands. The paint isn't smooth AT ALL, it's like somebody put and in it. I had to add water (as it says) - the paint didn't want to stick onto the paintbrush! Took the WHOLE can to do a simple stand. Now, 5hours later, and the paint is not drying! What do I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have been told I can paint leather with this paint.
    I want to recolour a leather chair and footstool and this paint has been suggested to me.
    Anyone had good success painting leather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because the original varnish finish turned white speckled, I sanded the piece of furniture until the blemish was gone, but now some of the original stain is gone so I have 2 shades of oak. Should i restain before i chalk paint?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Product of course I of all people would come across a problem ha. I applied my first coat of old whit on an old desk. It was very rough so I sanded the rough spots. it was venire. where I took off the drawer handles there is a bleed thru of the old mahogany stain I presume. It is red in appearance. I applied another coat of white and it still bleeds thru. Any suggestions? I thought maybe a light sealing coat of clear and repaint. PLEASE HELP OUT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Product of course I of all people would come across a problem ha. I applied my first coat of old whit on an old desk. It was very rough so I sanded the rough spots. it was venire. where I took off the drawer handles there is a bleed thru of the old mahogany stain I presume. It is red in appearance. I applied another coat of white and it still bleeds thru. Any suggestions? I thought maybe a light sealing coat of clear and repaint. PLEASE HELP OUT!! consultconstruct@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seal the piece with a shellac or varnish then paint. I have found that this stops bleed through very well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m wanting to paint my bedroom furniture that is stain & has polyurethane on it, and wanted to know if I needed to sand first before painting with chalk paint. I’ve been given 2 different opinions about this and I need a professional opinion. My first option was given by a Paint store and said to sand and Kilz it before painting with oil based paint. Then another option was to just paint with chalk paint with no sanding. PLEASE help me with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t know if this is the proper place to ask a question but I can’t seem to find any place else to do it. I purchased two colors of Annie Sloan chalk paint from you. Now I have painted two kitchen stools, each a different color. I would like to paint stripes of the opposite color on the tops, seats, of the stools. How long do I have to wait before applying painters tape? I have the typical blue painters tape. I am afraid when I go to pull the tape off I will remove some of the base paint. I’ve read a lot about chalk paint. I can’t find nothing about waiting any period of time.This is my first project And as I said I am leery about pulling the tape off.

    ReplyDelete